I made these for a housewarming last night. When we came back from USA last year I brought back several pounds of Trader Joe’s Pound Plus 72% Dark Chocolate, which is the finest chocolate I think I have ever had. The cupcake cases are from The Essential Ingredient in Canberra, and for the Cocoa- I only use Droste Belgium Cocoa.
- 1 ½ cups Self Raising Flour
- ¾ cup Caster Sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa
- ¾ cup Dark Chocolate bits
- ¾ cup Milk
- 125 grams Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- ½ cup Cream
- 200 grams Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- Dark Chocolate, extra, grated for topping
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Alternatively, line holes with paper cases. Sift flour, caster sugar and cocoa into a bowl, stir in chocolate bits. Make a well in the centre.
2. Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture. Using a large metal spoon, stir gently to combine.
3. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
4. Chocolate Ganache Icing: Place cream and chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a metal spoon until smooth. Remove from heat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until a spreadable consistency. Spread over cupcakes. Sprinkle with extra grated chocolate.